Monday, June 05, 2017

Somewhat disappointed

Saturday was a bit of a disappointment.  I was planning on going to the OMARC hamfest - which is held by the Ocean and Monmouth Counties Amateur Radio Club.  I thought I was free and clear to go; but then I was informed that there was a CERT call out for a 5K race and a 1 mile fum walk for a charity in town.  Fun or duty?  I mulled it over for about 1/2 a second, and pulled out my CERT gear and headed towards the race marshaling point.

We deployed to our positions about 1/2 an hour ahead of time in order to position the barricades needed to block off the streets 15 minutes ahead of the starting gun.  And it started to rain. Thankfully, my CERT poncho was in my CERT backpack, which is always in the car.

To be honest with you, I will never figure out some people. I was positioned one on of the side streets (Joan Street) off the main course, which was South Plainfield Avenue.  It was my duty to prevent cars travelling down Joan Street from entering onto South Plainfield Ave.  I had two barricades blocking access, as well as my car pulled sideways in the street.

People were still driving up to me, sticking their heads out their windows, and asking "Is the street closed? Can I get through?"

I was so tempted to say that I was just standing in the rain, with my car blocking the street "for my health"; but instead just smiled and explained that there was a 5K foot race going on and that the roads would be open again in an hour.

Thankfully, the rain abated for the race itself, and about an hour later, I was able to secure my post and go home.  The hamfest was scheduled to only last until Noon; so it was too late to make the trip to go down towards the shore. There were too many chores to do anyway, so it was probably better that I didn't go.

On another note, I've been getting a couple e-mails asking about the 2017 NJQRP Skeeter Hunt.  Yes, it will be held again this year on Sunday, August 20th.  Look for an announcement to be made here within a week or two and for the NJQRP Website to be updated with the photos and soapbox comments from last year's contest, soon.  I'll also let you know when it's time to send your e-mails requesting Skeeter numbers; and what the theme is, for this year.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!


No comments:

Post a Comment