Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Think I wlll meet the deadline

I have imposed a deadline for myself with regards to Skeeter Hunt results. I want to have both the "scorecard" and the soapbox published to the Skeeter Hunt website this coming Sunday, after the log submissions deadline.

The "scorecard" itself is a piece of cake.  It's simply an Excel spreadsheet that I have composed, with formulas that do all the menial calculating chores for me.  I simply plug in the values and the spreadsheet calculates the final score for me. I will upload the completed spreadsheet to Google Sheets and it will be available for all to see on the Web, once it's completed. This was a good exercise for me, as I was very weak with regards to using formulas in Excel. I'm still no expert by any means, but I know a lot more than I used to, which was practically nil.

The soapbox page is another animal.  That is "simple" HTML composition, but it's more time intensive. I have about one half of the soapbox comments and pictures placed on the unpublished Web page.  At the rate I am going, if I can add about 5 more soapbox comments to the page each evening, over the next 4 or 5 evenings, it will be ready for publishing on time.

All this leads me to a worrisome discovery.  This year we had a record number of Skeeters sign up.  But I am lagging behind in receiving log summaries. Last year I received a total of 71 summaries. As of this minute, I have only received 54. I guess a "Que Sera, Sera" attitude is in order, but I sure would love to see more log summaries submitted.

It's very important to me that these results get published on time this coming Sunday.  You folks are kind enough to participate, and I know how much you like to see results.  I do myself!  It's not so important for me to see where I place, I want to see how my friends did, what their setup looked like, and I like to read about the fun they had.  The results and soapbox are a crucial part of any of these "special" QRP events, in my most humble opinion.  No one wants to make an effort and then wait months or more to see how things stacked up.

So, God willing and the creek don't rise, you'll see the finished results this Sunday at www.qsl.net/w2lj
I am just hoping I get a few more log summaries and soapbox comments before then.

And then the final phase will begin, which is the certificates.  I have to give myself more time for those, but hopefully, everyone who will qualify for one will have it by the end of September.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment